See you in Jeju
Calling all Young BPWs to Congress!!
Hello to all our Young members, the rising stars of BPW!
I’m Anne, program coordinator for our upcoming congress — taking place here on Jeju Island, Republic of Korea, where I’ve lived for several years! (I’m from New York, by the way, a global citizen…and, moving to UK/EU just after our congress!)
I want to encourage all Young BPWs to come to Congress — it’s not too late to register! — and if you’re already planning to be there, I’d like to highlight some features for you:
First: we have an introductory workshop on Day 1: Young BPW, which is meant to provide the basics for those who are new to Young BPW and want to know more. It’s also a great place to meet up with other Young BPWs as congress begins!
There are a number of workshops that would be especially helpful for early-career women such as yourselves, such as:
- Day 2: EDU2a: “Embrace Fear, Play Bigger, Change the World!” given by a Gen Y Blogger from Singapore;
- EDU2b: “Tips for Corporate Career Success,” given by one of our members from Spain, an author and expert at climbing the corporate ladder;
- CIV2: “Women on Boards” — how to get there and be successful at it, by a variety of presenters;
- Day 3: Com3: “When Women are Well, Economy and Business Do Better” — how to stay healthy while working hard for success, by our Health Committee;
- EDU3: “Gender-based Violence and Prevention,” how to stay safe;
- CIV3: “Single Mothers Empowerment,” how to balance working life with child-rearing, especially if on your own;
- GOV4: “Successful Project Funding,” how to get your dreams funded;
- COM4: “Implementing WEPs: A Gen Y Perspective,” results of a collaboration between EPW-NYC and female students of NYU Stern School of Business;
- EDU4: “Mentoring for Success,” how to get yourself mentored by successful women, and make the most of it;
- Day 4: COM5: “Sourcing from Women Vendors,” how to find / utilize / collaborate with other women in business and trade, given by International Trade Centre;
- EDU5: “Business Incubator Training and Mentoring Project,” BPW’s guide to successfully running your own business;
- GOV6: “BPW Faces at the UN,” what it means to be a BPW representative to the UN–and how you, too, can get there; and,
- COM6: “Equal Pay Day” for the politically-minded, on how to encourage government and private sector to equalize the pay received by women to that of men!
Day 4: 26 May 12:45-1:45 Young BPWs lunch with the President
Of course, we begin with a BANG! with our exciting Opening Ceremony, have 3 plenaries with awe-inspiring speakers (such as, the gender experts of OECD and World Bank, among many others), and hold General Assembly meetings throughout — where you can witness and learn about full parliamentary procedure! We’ll have our election for the Executive of the upcoming triennium, too — and, select the 2020 site for Congress!
Speaking of that: Cairo is our next destination, in 2017, and BPW Egypt has a number of presentations, gifts, and performances lined up during this Congress meant to entice us all to Cairo 3 years later!
But first: KOREA! Jeju Island is a spectacularly beautiful ISLAND OF WOMEN — goddess mythology, female shamans, free-diving grannies, and much more! UNESCO-recognized for both nature and culture, and one of the world’s New 7 Wonders of Nature, it’s not to be missed!
Not only that: if you come to Congress on a Full (5-day) Pass, our host, BPW Korea, will give you a unique gift: a traditional Korean garment known as hanbok!
And did I mention our social events during Congress? THE event for Young BPWs, of course, is your Young BPW Night Out: Beach BBQ! First, a seaside BBQ / seafood / Chinese buffet — right next to stunning Jungmun Beach, where the party will naturally migrate after dinner!
There’s also the President’s Reception, Gala Dinner, Dine Arounds, Moonlight Walking Tours, Lunchtime B2B Networking / Author Series / Film Fest, and LOTS of exciting entertainment throughout!
AND: our International President Freda Miriklis is arranging to have a special breakfast with Young BPWs!
And so much more!! (For details, see our congress website: http://bpw-international.org/congress2014.)
See you soon, here on Jeju Island!